Traffic remains a major issue for travelers and commuters on Georgia roads. This leads to an increased number of accidents that cause a range of injuries and losses to victims.
In this blog post, we are going to talk about the types of damages that you can recover in a personal injury claim.
Compensatory damages are the general type of damages awarded in a personal injury claim. They are designed to compensate for the real losses you suffered as a result of the accident. The following are the types of compensatory damages:
Usually, economic damages can be easily calculated and verified by receipts, bills, or other documents. It includes:
- Medical Treatment: This covers the expenses of any medical care you received or will require in the future because of the injuries you suffered in the accident. It covers
Other related expenses
- Loss of Income: You can recover compensation for the days you have not been able to work or for the reduced earning capacity because of the accident.
- Property Damage: Property damage covers the expenses of replacing or repairing any property that was destroyed or damaged in the accident.
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses: Out-of-pocket expenses cover any expenses you sustained or will incur due to the accident. Generally, it covers childcare costs, transportation costs, miscellaneous costs, and household services.
Non-economic damages are difficult to calculate. That’s why you should learn more about non-economic losses before seeking compensation. Below are some of the non-economic damages:
- Pain and Suffering: Pain and suffering is the physical pain and discomfort you sustain or will incur because of the accident.
- Emotional distress: This refers to the emotional and psychological effects on your health condition due to the accident. This includes
Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: This covers the loss of your ability to enjoy the things you used to enjoy before the accident. This includes recreation, sports, hobbies, social activities, recreation, and other aspects of your life that brought you happiness and satisfaction.
- Disability and Disfigurement: This refers to the loss of your physical abilities or appearance due to the accident. This will include
Temporary or permanent impairment
Other physical changes that impact your identity and self-esteem
Punitive damages are a rare type of damage awarded in personal injury claims. The main intention of punitive damages is to punish the wrongdoer and stop future misconduct. You can receive compensation for their negligence.
Keep in mind that punitive damages are only awarded in personal injury claims where the defendant acted with malice, fraud, or gross negligence. Also, punitive damages are only awarded in court.
For instance, if the defendant was texting while driving, driving drunk, or intentionally injuring you, you are eligible to recover punitive damages.
If you have been involved in an accident, you can recover compensation for all the types of damages mentioned above.
Keep in mind that filing a personal injury claim can be a challenging task, particularly when you have to deal with insurance adjusters and legal proceedings.
That is why you need the help of an experienced and reputable personal injury attorney. They will help you recover the compensation you deserve without much difficulty.