Improving the exterior of your home can be achieved through a variety of means, one of which is replacing your windows and doors. Although often overlooked, windows and doors are crucial to a house’s overall aesthetic appeal. As the first things that catch the eye of those passing by, they play a significant role in shaping your home’s appearance. Additionally, they influence the way you, as a homeowner, interact with your home.
Selecting the right products for your home’s exterior can be challenging. Still, after extensive research, our team has contacted many windows companies in Edmonton and other cities across America to break down the best windows to complement your house exterior.
In this article, we’ll explore why new windows and doors are vital for your house design, how to choose the best units and the installers for your replacement project.
New Windows & Doors – What are the Trends Now?
To begin, it’s essential to understand which window and door designs will suit your home’s exterior best. The design you select can add character to your home and convey a sense of hospitality to those who see it. Below are some of the most popular window and door designs that North American homeowners prefer.
Trendy Replacement Window Designs
New windows with a superb design can add elegance and style to your home’s exterior. Here are the most popular window types that not only look great but are also energy-efficient and ensure maximum security.
- Casement Windows: This window style features hinges on the top and bottom sides of the vertical sash, allowing the window to move inward or outward, similar to a traditional door. Casement windows are usually installed as individual units or paired with several units to make a stable window combination and achieve a fantastic look and comfortable operation. These models have a contemporary look with clean lines and provide excellent energy efficiency and ventilation, making them the top choice for any home.
- Awning Windows: The next popular design is the awning window, which has a sash hinged at the top of the frame and swings outwards from the bottom. These windows are typically larger in width and length than height, allowing for better ventilation and circulation of air in your home. They are usually paired with doors or larger windows.
- Sliding Windows: Another window option is the sliding window, which features sashes that slide horizontally for maximum ventilation. These windows are visually appealing and installed to complement modern home designs.
Trendy Replacement Door Designs
- French doors consist of two identical doors that open outwards and are often installed at the back of the house to provide a beautiful view of the garden and let in more natural light.
- Patio doors, also known as sliding glass doors, are contemporary and elegant, and provide access to other rooms in the house or the backyard. Both French and patio doors are great options for enhancing the style and functionality of your home.
Replacement Windows & Doors: What Budget Would You Need?
Upgrading the windows and doors of your home offers more benefits than just improving its appearance. By replacing your old windows and doors with new, energy-efficient models from a reputable company, you can save money on your annual energy bills and enjoy greater comfort. Additionally, exterior home improvements such as these can significantly increase the value of your property, providing a high return on investment if you decide to sell.
To help you plan your window and door replacement project, we’ve provided a list below that shows the average cost breakdown by location within your home. Use this information to budget accordingly and find the best prices in your area.
- Casement window: $600 – 900 (price per standard unit)
- Awning window: $520 – 870 (price per standard unit)
- Sliding window: $670 – 1050 (price per standard unit)
- French doors: $1120 – 2100 (price per standard unit)
- Patio doors: $950 – 1700 (price per standard unit)
- *Source: Ecoline Windows
Investing in new windows and doors for your home is a significant expense, but it can add value to your property and enhance its exterior appearance. Please note that the price ranges shown in the table above are only estimates, so it’s best to contact local companies for exact quotes.
Choosing the Best Windows & Door Company in 2023
When selecting a windows and doors company, it’s important to consider several factors. Here are some pointers to help you make the right choice:
- Experience, Reputation, and Reviews: Check how long the company has been in business and what other clients say about them. Look for genuine customer reviews on websites like HomeStars to see if the company is reliable. For example, Ecoline Windows has been in business for 10 years, has completed over 40,000 installations, and has many satisfied customers. This clearly shows that a company is reliable and you can be at ease when ordering and installing your new units with them.
- Energy Star Products: The Energy Star symbol indicates high-efficiency products in Canada. Choose windows and doors that are Energy Star-rated to ensure energy efficiency and comfort in your home.
- Industry Standards: Make sure the company you choose follows industry standards. All their products are NAFS-11 and NFRC tested. Their installers follow CSA guidelines and local building codes to provide high-quality products with impeccable installation.
In summary, choosing the right windows and doors company is essential to ensure a successful home renovation project. Considering these factors, you can make informed decisions and avoid falling for cheap marketing and sales gimmicks. Ultimately, high-quality windows and doors will improve your living experience and increase your home’s value.