The perfect picturesque paradise of Queenstown is home to some of the most gorgeous attractions and renowned ski resorts in New Zealand. Since it offers some exhilarating adventure activities such as ziplining, skydiving, trekking, bungy jumping, and rope swinging, travelers love to visit here for a spectacular holiday experience. However, it is essential to visit at the right time to have a memorable experience, especially when planning to travel in a camper.
Thus, in this detailed guide, you will discover the right time to visit Queenstown for the best camper experience. So, let’s delve into the details!
Spring (September to November)
As the spring blooms, the longer days with warm temperatures return, where you witness many delightful lambs bouncing around. With unpredictable weather, you will love the amazing views of exquisite gardens and many more scenic beauties. Also, the flowing rivers and beautiful waterfalls are quite a sight to enjoy! For all the campers out there, don’t forget to enjoy the thrilling zipline experience and try white-water rafting.
Summer (December to February)
The most crowded season, summer, is the perfect time to enjoy all of the outdoor attractions of Queenstown. With the holiday season on, there are more international and domestic tourists enjoying the settled sunny weather – be it on beaches, lakes or hiking trails. Campers will love jet boating, skiing, swimming and sailing. You will also witness busier campervan spots as it is the peak season.
Autumn (March to May)
As the vibrant fall colors begin to show, this is the cheapest season to maximize your discounts on renting a campervan to witness the elegant landscapes with fewer tourists. You will be enchanted by the natural beauty and can spend quality time with your family.
Winter (June to August)
Opting for a winter trip in your campervan is a fun and memorable experience. This is because Queenstown has some of the finest snow-capped mountains and resorts in New Zealand, which all have skiing or other winter sport options. If you are lucky, you might be able to witness some concerts or festivals happening on the way!
Camper Tips for an Ultimate Queenstown Trip
Here are some useful tips for campervan travelers to have no hindrances on their once-in-a-lifetime trip.
Recommended Campervan Parks/Spots in or Near Queenstown:
- Mrs Woolly’s Campground, Glenorchy
- Queenstown Holiday Park & Motels Creeksyde, Central Queenstown
- Hampshire Holiday Parks – Queenstown, Central Queenstown
- Driftaway Holiday Park, Frankton
- Queenstown Top 10 Holiday Park, Arthurs Point
Driving Tips During Different Seasons:
- All vehicles in Queenstown are driven on the left side of the road. Thus, if you are not used to it, start slow until you get a knack for it.
- Large campervans may not have a fast speed like your cars, thus, there may be longer travel times.
- Weather can get extremely unpredictable, leading to landslides, windblown trees, and
icy roads. You may even find forthcoming livestock slowing down your adventure.
Essential Items to Pack in Different Seasons:
- Spring: Pack antihistamines to counter any spring allergies on the way.
- Summer: Always put sunscreen with SPF30+ and a hat to guard from the punishing sun. Insect repellent containing DEET is a terrific protector against mosquitoes and sandflies and reduces itchiness if bitten.
- Autumn: Pack clothes for both the summer and winter season. A few extra layers come in handy when it gets cold.
- Winter: Always stay prepared for colder nights with warm jackets and snow boots. Carry a flashlight to locate things in the dark.
Since every season has its unique set of fun elements, picking the apt time to visit Queenstown is crucial to having the best experience in a campervan. When you begin planning, you can count on the best Campervan rentals in New Zealand for your fun-filled adventure.