I’m a journalist and photographer who was born in Chania, Crete – the most beautiful city in Greece (as people say). I live in Piraeus, the biggest port in the country. You can find my channels on Instagram at @nikos_nikoletakis and @greece_photographer, and on Facebook at @nnikoletakisphotography. In this blog, I will be sharing tips about one of my favorite Greek Islands called Skopelos – the green gem of the Aegean.
Skopelos is one of the greenest islands in Greece. It’s a green paradise full of beautiful beaches with crystal-clear waters. My favorite place on the island is Chora (Skopelos Town) – a beautiful village home to white houses with stone roofs, tiny courtyards, hanging balconies and lovely churches. If you need only one reason to visit Skopelos then Chora is it! But of course, there is more to see. Below is my list of the top 6 things to do in Skopelos.
6 Best Things To Do in Skopelos
- Visit Chora (Skopelos Town): Explore the cobblestone streets and admire the amazing views from the top of the hill near the sea.
- Take in the Views from the Chapel of St. John (Ioannis): The sea views here are extraordinary, especially from the picturesque courtyard at the chapel. The church sits precariously on top of a massive rock. It became world famous because it was the setting for the wedding in Mamma Mia (the movie). Tourists can reach the chapel by climbing up the steps.
- Join a Mamma Mia Tour: On these guided tours in Skopelos you can visit several locations that were used as the setting for Mamma Mia. Included in these tours are beach visits where you get to experience the unbridled beauty of places like Kastani Beach and Glisteri Beach, and also stopping by picturesque churches that were featured in the film.
- Swim and Sunbathe at Panormos Beach: This spectacular beach is easily reached by car or moto and it’s one of my favorites in Skopelos.
- Discover the Charming Beach of Agnontas: Here you will find a charming fishing hamlet home to just one picture-perfect beach. You can relax at the seaside tavernas and enjoy a drink watching the sunset.
- Cruise Down the Amarandos Cape: The perfect place to go on a mini road trip by car or motorbike. The coastline is gorgeous and was again used as the backdrop for many scenes in the movie Mamma Mia. And the best thing about it? These coves are just as unspoilt as they look in the movie – ideal spots for swimming, snorkeling or just having a picnic.
Skopelos Food, Another Highlight of the Island
The hospitality of the locals is only matched by the local food! Eating out in Skopelos is a real pleasure, just like on other islands in Greece. The produce abounds with fresh fish, delicious olives and sweet honey all featuring heavily on the menus at the various cafes and taverns on the island.
One must-try dish is “Skopelitiki Pitta (Pie)”. Trust me, order this as soon as you can – you will thank me later! For dinner or drinks at night, I suggest heading to the Anatoli tavern in Chora. It has amazing food and even better views! I also recommend Muses in Chora, another romantic tavern right by the sea. My final food recommendation for Skopelos would be Nikos Tavern in Panormos. Head there in the afternoon for some tasty seafood!
Need to Know Before you Go
- If you are looking for a place to stay I recommend looking for a place in Chora because all of the nightlife is there. Another great region of the island is Panormos Village but it’s only accessible if you rent a car/moto.
- Take the Mamma Mia Tour – you won’t regret it!
- Do your best to discover all the 16th-18th century monasteries scattered across the island. Many are churches perched on hills with epic views.
- Book a day cruise to the National Marine Park of Alonissos and Northern Sporades. It’s the largest protected marine area in Europe! Here you can take a tour of the world’s largest habitat of Mediterranean monk seals and uncover a land and seascape that is truly breathtaking!