Hello fellow Caribbean lovers! Welcome to my Curacao travel guide. My name is Natasja Oirbans. I’m a 28-year-old living in Bergen op Zoom in the Netherlands with my husband and daughter (who was born last August).
Ever since visiting Sri Lanka, I knew that I wanted to see more of the world. So after discovering Instagram, my love for travel and also photography blossomed even more. I started my own Instagram page and changed the name recently to @theworldatourlittlefeet. Feel free to follow along!
12 Amazing Days in Curacao
We have family living in Curacao which makes for a great reason to visit this beautiful Caribbean island. Recently, we had the pleasure of travelling there for 12 days. This was our second visit to the island and we rented a car and drove all over the island to see the most beautiful beaches and places.
A typical day would look like the following. In the morning we would wake up and head straight to the beach. This was followed by lunch and then snorkelling and swimming with turtles and other creatures in the sea. As dinner came around, it would be time to go out for drinks with our family.
We had a wonderful time in Curacao. My favourite beach was Cas Abao. It’s a large beach with cute bamboo huts and beautiful waters to go swimming. For snorkelling, I recommend visiting Playa Lagun. This is a quiet and secluded beach between cliffs. You can spot iguanas there too!
10 Best Things To Do in Curacao
Curacao is a Dutch Caribbean island famous for its beautiful beaches, colonial architecture, burgeoning art scene, amazing food and all round chilled vibe. Despite being a small island, there is a surprising number of things to do in Curacao. So let’s get started with my recommendations:
- Visit the beautiful beaches – especially in the northern part of the island.
- Go snorkelling and diving to discover a stunning underwater world.
- Take a boat charter to Little Curacao (Klein Curacao) with BlueFinn Charters Curacao and discover this little slice of Caribbean paradise.
- Climb Christoffelberg Mountain. A fun and sporty activity to take in the views from the highest point on Curacao. Makes for a nice change from beach hopping and you get in some proper exercise too!
- Spend an afternoon or entire day at Curacao Sea Aquarium where you can swim with dolphins if you want or watch an amazing show.
- Check out the animals of Curacao Ostrich Farm. This zoo offers tours and ostrich feedings. I recommend their guided tour – just hilarious!
- Swim with wild and beautiful turtles by Playa Grandi.
- Eat fresh fish at De Visserij seafood restaurant.
- Explore Willemstad, the capital city of Curacao. Make sure you stop by the famous pontoon bridge and don’t forget to visit at night as well when the bridge is all lit up in every colour of the rainbow.
- Enjoy Happy Hour at Mambo Beach. It’s a little party where you can dance to the music with your feet in the sand and a drink in your hand!
Where to Eat & Sleep in Curacao
When it comes to food on the island you have to eat at least one meal at De De Visserij, as mentioned above. This seafood restaurant is famous for its fresh fish and you can choose directly from the menu which fish you want to eat. I highly recommend the tuna here – it’s a phenomenal dish!
Another lovely place to have lunch is Karakter Restaurant. This restaurant is located in a resort but you can have lunch here for a small fee. As well as serving beautiful food, the resort has a nice infinity pool. My only recommendation for accommodation is Tribi Holiday apartments.
Need to Know Before you Go
The best time to visit Curacao is between November and June. Other months tend to get extremely hot with no breeze in sight. I recommend bringing good sunscreen as the sun can burn your skin quickly.
Also, rent a car and go beach hopping to visit the beaches in the northern part. Don’t just visit the touristy beaches like Mambo Beach and Jan Thiel. There are many secret beaches to discover if you want to go looking!
I would like to leave you with my favourite memory from my 12 days in Curacao which was the trip we did with BlueFinn Charters. Sailing, sunbathing on the nets and having a delicious barbeque with a beautiful view on the clearest waters in the world. What more could you ask for?!