My name is Anna Markozane and welcome to my travel guide on Anafi, Greece. I’m a landscape photographer and through my Instagram page (@markozane.a) my purpose is to highlight the beauty of my country.
I’m from Santorini but I currently live in Athens. I visit Santorini every summer and for that reason I often go to Anafi because it’s only an hour away by boat. Anafi impressed me from my very first visit. It reminded me of Santorini before the island became famous. I also love the tranquility in Anafi – it’s a top destination for those looking for a serene holiday.
Since Anafi is quite a small and secluded place, it’s only accessible by ferry from some ports around the Aegean Sea. Ferries to Anafi can be accessed from Athens, as there is a ferry connection between Anafi and the Port of Piraeus (approximately three times per week). The trip takes 9-11 hours!
For those island hopping, the closest port is Santorini. There is no airport in Anafi and if you choose to travel by plane to Santorini, then you can easily reach Anafi by ferry. The ferry from Santorini takes about two hours.
Best Things To Do in Anafi
- Visit the Beautiful Village: On one side you have the sea and on the other you have shops, bars, coffee shops, restaurants and souvenir shops. The white-washed houses and alleys are amazing to explore.
- Swim at Roukounas Beach: Roukounas is one of the longest beaches in Anafi and it’s accessible to campers. The beach has a coastal length of about 300 metres. To get to the beach, take the road from Chora to the eastward coast. If you opt to walk down to Roukounas Beach, it will take about an hour or more to get there – but it’s a lovely stroll.
- Go on a Kayaking Adventure with Oceanus Kayaking: This local small business offers single day and multi-day trips. Their goal is not only to provide a fantastic day on the water but also to transmit their love of the sea, kayaking and Greece with you! You will love this activity.
- Discover the Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi: There are no words to describe the feeling and the energy of the landscape here.
Where to Stay in Anafi
Casa Di Namphio Villa & Suites is the best accommodation on the island. Located less than a mile from Vagia Beach, this accommodation features views of the sea and the rooms are luxurious with stunning views. One thing I loved from my stay was the delicious breakfast that was served on a private balcony. The staff really make you feel welcome and satisfied.
Where to Eat & Drink on the Island
- To Petrino: The best place for souvlaki on the island of Anafi. This restaurant has good prices and tasty food. Just an all round great spot!
- Glaros: A bar on the main street. It’s the most beautiful bar in Anafi.
- Anemos: A great family-run restaurant with delicious traditional Greek food. Make sure you try the Zucchini Balls. They were scrumptious!
- Tholos: Incredible views welcome visitors to meze dishes and cool raki.
Need to Know Before you Go
The best months to visit, if you want to enjoy the beaches and sun, are June, July, September and October. August is a busy month on the island as many people head over from Santorini. Plan for those months.