Hey Caribbean lovers! Welcome to our article on Saint Kitts and Nevis. We are Kristen and Damon, better known on Instagram as @morningtimelimetogether. Both of us grew up in New Hampshire but from completely different areas of the state. We actually met online while we were both undergrads and the rest, as they say, was history!
Kristen always loved traveling and wanted to keep doing it as a couple. Once she got into veterinary school to pursue her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), we were in for a trip of a lifetime! Kristen was accepted into veterinary school in the Caribbean, on the island of Saint Kitts. So that was the main reason we came to the Caribbean (best excuse ever)!
Living the Dream in Saint Kitts and Nevis
We lived in Saint Kitts and Nevis for two and a half years – we packed up our entire lives (and our cats) and moved there. The sealife of the Caribbean is what draws us into the area and what we always miss the most when we leave. There is such an amazing variety of sealife on offer and we made it a point to go clean their habitats every weekend while we went freediving.
When we first arrived in Saint Kitts and Nevis, we were met with the utmost hospitality from the locals. Our taxi driver ended up knowing our landlord and he brought us to our new home, which was incredibly lucky because we didn’t have any directions from the airport. Our landlord ended up becoming our island mom and we still keep in touch with her today.
It’s experiences like this and the friends we made along the way that truly made our experience exceptional. Not only were the people amazing but the island’s nature was spectacular too. The best way to sum up the islands is that they are hidden gems. Saint Kitts and Nevis isn’t one of the most touristy places in the Caribbean and that is why we love it so much.
You get to enjoy all the white and black sand beaches and the crystal clear waters with beach bars, but the tourists are at a minimum – so you end up making friends with everyone you meet. There is truly something for everyone here: hiking in the rainforest or up a volcano, diving at the reefs, shopping in the port or relaxing with a couple of drinks at a beach bar.
Favorite Places: Romney Manor & Caribelle Batik
Our favorite spots in Saint Kitts and Nevis are Romney Manor and Caribelle Batik. Romney Manor is the site of an old rum distillery and Caribelle Batik is seated above the hill overlooking the island. They make traditional batik wear in every color imaginable. They also have some incredible gardens and the oldest tree in the Caribbean which is over 400 years old! We loved sitting under the tree with a rum punch in hand from the store.
Best Things To Do in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Go Snorkeling in Saint Kitts and Nevis: There are so many amazing sea creatures to see in Saint Kitts and Nevis, like stingrays and turtles. So go check them out (respectfully) and pick up some debris while you are out there. Our favorite spots are the cove next to Carambola, White House Bay and Shitten Bay (accessible with a catamaran trip).
- Hike up Mount Liamuiga: This is a dormant volcano that has its own rainforest and the top has stunning views of the “crater”.
- Get a Bucket of Beer at Shipwreck Beach Bar: Frozen drinks here are also a must. The beach is a black sand beach with a reef where you go snorkeling. Maybe drink your bucket of beers after snorkeling!
- Take a Catamaran Trip to Nevis: Opt for time to snorkel at Shitten Bay, the site of a shipwreck! The boat will keep the drinks flowing all day.
- Visit Caribelle Batik: You will be able to see how they create their famous batik wear. So purchase some and have a snack under their 400 year old tree – the oldest tree in the Caribbean.
- Grab a Smoothie and Lunch at Coconut Grove: The best hospitality meets the best lunch. Once you go, you won’t want to leave.
- Check out Brimstone Hill Fortress: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this fort offers epic views of the island and is an amazing place to explore.
- Stay at a Nice Hotel: We would recommend the Park Hyatt or Belle Mont Farm in Saint Kitts, and then Golden Rock Inn in Nevis. If staying at Golden Rock Inn, opt for the Sugar Mill Suite – you won’t regret it!
Other Amazing Islands to Visit Nearby
The great thing about Saint Kitts and Nevis is that you are close to so many beautiful Caribbean islands via a 20 minute plane ride. We would suggest checking out Sint Maarten (we stayed on the Dutch side) for their incredible Dutch and French heritage! If you are into luxury shopping then a boat ride to St. Barts should definitely be on your itinerary too, as they have Louis Vuitton, Rolex, Gucci and other high-end luxury retailers there.
Tips for Visiting Saint Kitts and Nevis
Island time is a real thing in the Caribbean and this goes for Saint Kitts and Nevis too! Understanding that things take a little longer will definitely save you the headache. We would also suggest being on island time as well – it’s hot and usually very humid, so don’t over-do your activities on the islands.
A rum punch is a must-have in Saint Kitts and Nevis, as well as trying the cuisine like conch fritters, pumpkin soup and grilled fish. One of our best experiences was when we had a picnic at Majors Bay for our anniversary. We watched the sunset, had wine and cheese, and just took in the beauty around us. It goes to show that island life is simple yet incredible!