We are Jameel & Lameez – the couple who won a one year stay at Kandima Maldives. Both of us are 25 years old and from the city of Johannesburg, South Africa. We attended the same high school since first grade and started dating back then. The first time we traveled was to Kandima for our honeymoon in 2019 and we have had the travel bug ever since.
So, how did we win this one year stay in the Maldives? It started in September 2019 when Kandima hosted a competition with the prize being free accommodation in their sky studio, full board meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), and domestic transfers to and from Velana and Dhaalu airport.
We were getting ready to start our normal day to day life and we saw an Instagram notification that Kandima announced the winner. So we went to their page and saw: “Congratulations to our oh-so lucky winner Jameel Haffejee”. At this moment, Jameel was overwhelmed with emotion and ran to tell Lameez who burst into tears after hearing this life-changing news.
Afterwards, we called our parents to let them know that we would be living in the Maldives for a year! Seeing everyone’s reactions was priceless. It felt like we won the lottery and it was really one of the best days of our lives.
Our first time in the Maldives was for our honeymoon in 2019, as this was our dream destination. So for us to win this competition and get to spend a full year in the Maldives is like a fairytale. We feel blessed and fortunate!
Waking up in Kandima Maldives Everyday
Waking up in Kandima everyday is even better than you imagine. The first thing we look at every morning are the bluest waters in the world, which are just outside our room. Then we think to ourselves: “How is this our life”?
Kandima is a lifestyle resort that has everything you need and more: a state of the art gym, football field, tennis court, three fine-dining restaurants, spa, many water activities and the island itself is three kilometres long – so everything is well spaced out. Everything about Kandima screams 5-stars!
But despite being a paradise, it took us a few weeks to settle into our new lives and create a routine. We typically start our days by taking pictures after sunrise for our Instagram @journeywithjameez, then we have breakfast and chat with our friends, followed by doing work, hitting the gym, snorkeling in the crystal-clear waters, and then eating some more.
Our Review of Kandima Maldives: 10/10!
Since Kandima is more like a lifestyle resort than a hotel, it gets an honest 10/10 from us! We have been at Kandima for more than three months and with all of the facilities on offer, we haven’t been bored for a single minute.
The food is absolutely delicious and to this day there is always a new dish to taste. Most importantly, if you want great service and to be treated like we have then Kandima is the best place to book for your Maldives getaway.
Friendships with the Local Maldivians
The best aspect about winning our prize is something we didn’t expect to be included and that is the friendships we have built with the people on the island. We have felt welcomed since the moment we arrived and the people here have gone out of their way to make us feel at home and part of the Kandima family. We view Kandima as home and not a resort.
Need to Know Before you Go
- Your holiday in the Maldives starts when you land at the airport. Everything goes according to “island time”, so go with the flow.
- Each Maldives resort has their own staff at the airport. They will guide you and take care of you from the moment you land at the airport.
- Getting to the resort feels like a journey but trust that it will be worth it!
- Kandima offers different styles of accommodation to suit you: beach studios like the one we have been staying in, beach villas for a more private and luxury experience, ocean villas which offer the ultimate private experience with breathtaking sunrise views and our favorite of all – the aqua villas. You are truly spoiled for choice at Kandima Maldives.
- Having breakfast and dinner included is more than sufficient and works out cheaper. You can always grab a bite to eat from the deli or cafe too.
- Ensure your stay is during a Thursday because the resort hosts a Maldivian night every Thursday where guests experience a traditional dance called Budo Beru “The Big Drum” and taste some local cuisine.